Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Own Blog Prompt: My June Holidays So Far

We are now into the third week of the June Holidays.

Despite the pile of homework I’ve had to do, I managed to enjoy my holidays thus far to the fullest.

One of the most memorable days of this vacation was 5th June – neither my birthday nor any other ‘special’ day, but it was nevertheless my first payday ever! I don’t think this counts as child labour although I’m still below the age of 16! My sister, my employment agent, approached me to help her out during her friend’s company’s Family Day carnival. As she was short of hands, she requested my help. I was worried about my inexperience, so it took me quite a while before I agreed to help her. I finally decided to help her when she offered to pay me a minimum of $50 for my help. Money is hard to come by, but more importantly, such opportunities are rare!

On the 5th of June therefore, I woke up at around 7.30am to have breakfast before my sister and I set off for Pasir Ris Park, Elias Lawn. We ran an instant photo booth: my sister’s job was to take photos, mine to print them. As the crowd swelled, we became very, very busy! Some people repeatedly took many pictures with different groups of friends, while others did not even want to be photographed even though the photo-printing was free.

Half-way into the event, it was lunch time and there was a buffet! The inviting aromas from the large spread of food and the barbeque made my mouth start to water. I was extremely hungry as I had been working so diligently, hurriedly printing photos and handing them to our customers with a polite smile.

I really wanted to go and grab some food but my sister kept insisting that we were not part of the company and therefore not entitled to the buffet! Finally she agreed to let me take some food when she heard my tummy growling and my work performance dwindled due to my overwhelming hunger.

At 1pm, the event was finally over, but not for us! We had to stay back at the stall to clear all the rubbish! At 2pm we finally were done for the day. For my good effort and optimal attitude, I was to receive $70 from my sister, but until now she has not given me the money yet.

In retrospect, 5th June was truly a fulfilling experience. Luckily my elder brother was in Germany, or else I wouldn’t have been roped in and would have lost this golden opportunity! Despite the fatigue, this experience would forever be etched in my mind. Not merely because it was my first payday, but also because of the fun my sister and I had while working hard to please our customers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you sure had a meaningful day. Such opportunities definitely are rare to come by thus when they do, we definitely must take it. It is not about the money but about the experience and things you learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa!!Hope you have enjoy your june holidays!!:)
    Even though June holidays seems to be quite long,but it is actually faster than you think.Hope you have make good use of this rae opportunity to do revision and at the same time, Enjoy yourself:)

    ReplyDelete